Updating AcadeMix page

I’m still thinking what kinda table we should use in the body. Still going through some designs & as soon as I come up with a good design I’ll let you know. BTW thanks for checking on!!! :blush: @Minuri_Adasuriya

@Gimhan_minion share your findings with us, we will give feedback. Don’t wait until you come up with the final design. Use the community to get feedback. We are there to help.

1 Like

Of course sure!!! Thank you for the guidance. I’ll share them with y’all @akshika47 :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi everyone! I’m gonna need some help in deciding which type of a table we should use in the Academix Homepage. I’ll just list down the bunch of things we can do.

Option No 1:-

(We can use a table which looks like this and include all the content in the homepage itself. This table contains “Next” which helps to switch to read the next data list. )

Option No 2:-

(This is pretty much same as the above but we can use a filter and get the content we wish.)

Option No 3:-

(We can do something like this. By making different webpages for each “Education level”.
EX:- Students
Teachers
Undergraduate
Postgraduate)

In last Saturday stand-up meeting @jaye came up with the 3rd option which I really like because it would be easier to manage data + It would look nice in the homepage.

Please if anyone have any suggestions, complains or another cool idea share with us! Thank you :hugs:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m really digging option 3 too. Thank you @Gimhan_minion

2 Likes

Thanks @Gimhan_minion!

I just created basic sketch to explian the flow,

Academix home page:

When selecting a main category ex: Teachers
This page will contain all subcategories of the selected main category. Subcategory contains the resources aka item.

When selecting a single item inside a subcategory
It will display a popup with a provided description and a link to that service.

Feel free to add your valuable thoughts about the flow, it will be really useful for the development! :blush:

2 Likes

OMG :heart_eyes: I Love this sketch. Thank you @jaye!!!

1 Like

I would place a search bar at the top as well. This would allow users to do a free search.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good idea!

1 Like

If possible! I know I said basic functionality only at this point but search function would be a nice to have :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good news team! Education Forum Sri Lanka is handing over their database to us :smiley: so we literally have content ready to go :slight_smile: they already had a similar concept to AcadeMix built but they were very impressed with our SEF website and how easy it was to navigate that they are handing their IP on their database for us to feature. It’s great to have a partner like EFSL onboard, we will be able to collaborate with them more in the future and act as their policy activation partner.

So kudos to you on the new website team!! It’s bringing us a lot of credibility. Keep working on improving it - we’ll be able to get even more great collaborations :blue_heart:

FYI @techTeam @designTeam

4 Likes

@Gimhan_minion when can you give us the first version of the design? Let me know if you need any other help to deliver this. We need to keep moving fast mate.

1 Like

@akshika47 @Minuri_Adasuriya,

@techTeam had a discussion and we thought that it would be efficient to do this project using React. I’ve updated a PR using of what I’ve done so far but We think that doing this using react will be easy to maintain. TBH I’m totally new to using react and still going through the learning curve. But @jaye and I had a long discussion regarding this and I’ll just point out how we gonna do this task :yum:

Backend Task:-

1. Create models for Categories, Sub Categories & Items. :white_check_mark: (@YohanAvishke & @Gravewalker )
  2. Create CRUD APIs for the above models. :stop_sign:
  3. Create admin UI on the dashboard.

@jaye already informed @YohanAvishke for doing the back-end of this project and he’s currently working on this. :slight_smile: Thank you @YohanAvishke for helping us out.!!!

Front-End Task:-

1. Choose a matching react library :white_check_mark: (@jaye )
  2. Create a deploy-able front-end web app :white_check_mark: : (@jaye)
  3. Implementation :stop_sign:

This whole process will take 2 weeks and we’ll be able to finish the task on or before 7th June.

Even though I’m still going through the learning curve. I’ll be in touch about this project.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for the update. @shyamal and @DannyB do you have any feedback? questions? suggestions?

1 Like

Hi @akshika47 and Team,

1st I’m impressed with how effectively you are collaborating with each other :+1:.

I got a slight idea about the project but I need little bit of background on how do we populate the content, frequency and how those content will be fetched to React based web UI.

I would choose React as well over others specially angular at this point to build the web front end app. I presume this is a responsive page (sketches are for desktop) and no need yet for mobile app.

Where are we deploying the app?

Is it an iterative approach to complete the project starting with MVP and completing rest with next iteration as feedback should be considered on that basis :joy:.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback @shyamal! :hugs:

Currently, we are maintaining a SpringBoot application and an Admin dashboard UI to handle our admin use cases:

We can write these APIs, and the admin UI to add these resources to that repo.
Then we can fetch those data using that API within the React application. (We are using Axios on other projects)
Also, we planned to implement this with ant.design Ant Design React UI library with a set of high-quality React components. On the other hand, it will keep a consistency between our applications because we use the same for our Admin Dashboard and ScholarX too.

Yes, let’s create it as responsive.

We have an up and running VPS to deploy apps and currently, we are using tomcat as a container.

I love this idea. Mainly, we planned to implement these two first,

1. Basic APIs to retrieve data from the DB. (we need to add data manually to the DB at this point)
  2. Basic UI to fetch and display data.

Parse 2:

1. Completing the APIs with CRUD operations
  2. Creating the admin dashboard UI to handle the data entry.
  3. Completing the design of the main UI

Parse 3:

1. Adding multilanguage support. (English, Sinhala, and Tamil)

Once again thanks for your feedback @shyamal!
Also, It would be nice if you could join the Stand-up meeting today:

2 Likes

Apologies @jaye and team for missing out the stand up. Can you please let me know how to connect next time along with the time. I will will make it happen next time.

Thank you for providing the insight. Where do you run the app? Aws?

I will dig into the github and see what you have done so far.

1 Like

No problem @shyamal! :blush:
You can join from the next week onwards,
Add it to your calendar:
It’s at 7:00 pm (IST) on every Saturdays.

We use DigitalOcean.

2 Likes

Awesome. Will catch up next time.
You got my number, If you want to contact me before that

2 Likes

Thanks @shyamal.

I initialised the frontend React application.
Please review and merge.

3 Likes