Migrating scholarx from heroku to a different hosting service

Since heroku will be shutting down all the free dynos by the end of this november, i was assigned to look into other options we have for deploying scholarx. After doing some research, I have come to realize that theres not many free ones available out there. The very few free tiers i could find either have query limits or time limitations. I have listed down some of the hosting services I found that looked quite promising to me with the pricing.

1. We could get a digitalocean droplet starting at $5/month (standard plan - 1 GB Memory / 1 GB CPU / 25 GB SSD / 1000 GB transfer) that comes with a pre-installed dokku image (the open source version of heroku)

2. Digitalocean - If we are going with digital ocean, we can get $100 credit for a year if we use a student email.

3. We could upgrade our free dyno on heroku to the hobby plan, and that would cost $7/month. But we’ll have to host the database somewhere else. We could use something like supabase for that (i think)

4. fly.io - Here we can host the server as a docker image

5. Railway - There is a free plan but it comes with a execution limit of 500 hours/month. So we could go with the developer plan which is $5/month with no execution hour limits.

6. Render - There is a free plan but it only allows a 750 hours of running time/month. The starter plan is $7/month

7. Supabase - They offer a free plan for postgres database hosting

Yup, so these are the ones that I could find.

@anjisvj @jaye

2 Likes

Thank you! @YaiyaSam I think we better not go for free tiers. Because others also might follow in the footstep of Heroku by removing free tiers. We don’t wanna do another migration if it happened. By looking at your suggestions I think DigitalOcean will be better for our usage. WDYT? @EngTeam

1 Like

@jaye @akshika47 At the standup today, we sort of decided to go with digitalocean as it seems like the best option out of the ones listed above. What do you guys think?

1 Like

Yeah, Digitalocean would be a good option. By the way, they no longer have the $5 plan (I think it’s $6 now). Meanwhile, I contacted Suresh. He might be able to find us a sponsorship.

2 Likes

@jaye What’s the status from suresh? Can we get it?

@jaye Let’s go with digital ocean. Shall we create an account? I can work on the migration.