Implementing the comments adding feature

I started working on adding the comments adding feature. Which will be helpful for admins and mentors when they are reviewing the applications. This thread will be used to keep everyone updated with my progress. I already created the relevant issues on Github.

2 Likes

Backtend
Here’s the draft PR along with the new comments table. The relationship is A profile can add many comments on a mentee. @piumal1999 @Gravewalker @jaye Can I have some feedback on this?

Frontend
I’m halfway into integrating the APIs with the admin UI

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @anjisvj!

You are heading on the right path. Please add created_at field to the comment table. So that we can know when they commented. You could rename the profile_id field into something more readable. ex: commented_by, commented_profile_id

Regarding the UI, we don’t need to display two sections, Comments by mentor and comments by admin. Let’s display all of them using the antd’s list component with their profile picture, name and time. (We could show their role later)

@piumal1999 @Gravewalker What do you think?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll update the columns.
Regarding the UI your way is perfect. I was struggling with the UI. xD

2 Likes

Here the Admin UI

Are we going to show the admin comments to the mentor? Are we going to enable comments throughout the program?
@jaye @Dharana_J

2 Likes

Let’s make it visible to both parties. So that they can use it as a communication method. But we should make sure to indicate to users that comments are visible to other admins and relevant mentors. We can add a visibility feature later enabling them to add private comments (ex: only me, admins only, …)

For the design, I would suggest something like the. following: (Only if we have sufficient time)

To display that time ago thing, there’s a tiny library named javascript-time-ago

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. @jaye
Made the changes.

1 Like

Awesome!

The comments can be deleted only by the one who commented.

A suggestion:
It would be nice if we could move the delete option to the view more menu shown in the example I provided. Later we can add the edit option to the same menu. (The menu icon should only be displayed in front of their own comments)

2 Likes

I made the requested changes.
The PRs are ready for review:

2 Likes